Pages

July 9, 2010

Dual-Boot Ubuntu and PC-BSD - Part 2: Installation

After creating the necessary partitions for the 2 *nix OSes, Ubuntu 10.04LTS and PC-BSD 8.0, I proceed with the installation.

Installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
As I am more experienced in installing Ubuntu, having done so many times in the past, it was not really hard to get it installed to the first primary partition on the disk. I ran the live USB I created and clicked the install to hard disk option in the desktop. I subdivided the 1st primary partition further to different mounts, namely: /, /home and swap as is my practice when I install Ubuntu (and I don't exactly know why). The installation took about 20 - 30 minutes for it to get installed in my laptop.

Installing PC-BSD 8.0
I installed PC-BSD to the 2nd primary partition using the 32-bit DVD image burned to a bootable DVD. As I am on new territory for this installation, I left the default setup for the different mounts. I also want to note that I did not check to create a bootloader option. I also chose to install the Firefox browser, BSD ports and source (although I really have no idea what these 2 are for) and the Jail management system (again, no idea what it is for). I don't know how long it really takes to install other BSD OSes but this install of PC-BSD took close to 2 hours to install. At some point, I thought the installer has stalled or has become unresponsive. But after a very long time, the OS was installed.

So I now have 2 OSes installed on my laptop. Next is the initial boot-up and some post installation notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment