Pages

July 1, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: Initial Impression

I recently finished installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my laptop. Having used Ubuntu before, I can see that there has been a massive push for improvement. Some changes include the Ubuntu rebranding. Most notable is the default theme which is no longer brown and now has the Close - Maximize - Minimize window control buttons on the upper left corner ala Mac OS X style.

The last version of Ubuntu that I extensively used was 9.04 but I had problems with the Wifis so it only took me a month and I decided to take it down and return to the Redmond-centric OS. But much has changed in 10.04 LTS. Almost everything basic works out of the box. The Wifis is now easily configurable and connects instantly after the initial setup of access point, etc. In fact, I have removed Windows XP from my computer and installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS as the main, and only, OS.

It's also good to note that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS tries to make it easier for me to access social networks via the pre-installed Gwibber app. But unfortunately, it's not working for me and I have yet to find a solution to it. The new Ubuntu Software Center is also an improvement. The packages are better organized and what caught my attention is that Adobe apps are now under the Canonical Partners node.

Basically, I am always excited to try Ubuntu especially with every new release as I feel that there are a lot of improvements being done for this wonderful free OS. I have been occasionally using Ubuntu since the 6.04 release but always ended up reverting to Windows. I hope that this installation of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is the charm and that I never have to revert back to Windows again.

No comments:

Post a Comment